SkullValley

SkullValley
The way Home

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Nanny's Birthday, 4 May


My Grandmother

I used to sit on her hip, watching
buckwheat flapjacks flip, singing
“Nanny’s little baby loves shortenin’, shortenin’
Nanny’s little baby loves shortenin’ bread”.
This verse keeps running through my head.
And then she’d laugh, a rich and honest giggle
My Grandmother did.

We’d sit in her old, cold metal lawnchair, looking
at stars, old and cold; and there we’d be, singing
“The stars at night are big and bright--
Deep in the heart of Texas!”
Oh and then our Mom would come to fetch-us
And we’d all laugh, and Connie and I would wiggle
Us and Grandmother did.

She’d take us in the big ol’ Buick, riding
Up to Heber, hoping to see the Creeper, smoking
down or up the canyon, oak leaves gold, others red
Bridal Veil water splashin’ down
Looking up, I noticed, sometimes a phantom frown
And then she’d laugh, and we couldn’t help but join her
That’s what we and Grandmother did.

Other children, to our family were, joining
What had been a private party so long in, running
I have to admit here and now it made me jealous
to share hugs and kisses, the stories and jokes
Until I realized the fun we could have as cousin folk
And Nanny would laugh, and it was fine ever after
That’s what Grandmother did.

And so, after all that has gone by, and I’m, thinking
the hugs and kisses we’ll miss ‘til we are, going
to meet her and our kin in the paradise of GOD,
Where rest and peace reside and ugliness never mars,
out beyond the moon, but not yet to the stars,
we’ll appreciate the life we had, especially the laughter.
That’s what Grandmother did.

Michael D. LeFevre  ã Copyright 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment